Monday, December 5, 2016

'Tis the (busy) season...

Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone, and we have rapidly moved into busy season!  I have finally gotten all my inside decor up and am very thankful to have all the boxes back in the attic.  I have also been working on a two week art show for the association of which I am serving as president and have several commissioned pieces lined up.  So, I am really thankful to have the decorations up.  Although we have two trees, here is a peek at "my tree" as my children like to refer to it.  I am sharing this first photo because I loved the effect that the lights made. 


However, as I continued taking photos I realized after three or four tries with this same result that my lens was smudged. 😉 So, here is the entire tree without a smudged lens...


This is "my tree" for many reasons... one reason is that it was inspired by my grandmother ~ a beautiful gracious southern belle of a lady ~ who always had a special way of decorating her own tree by using only white, silver, crystal, and gold ornaments.  I have taken this tradition as my own and used only those items (with a couple of exceptions for ornaments with burgundy and red ribbon hangers) on it.  While I have used only those colors, the ornaments are not "designer ornaments" purchased from a store just for the purpose of decorating.  Rather, they are primarily either heirlooms or gifts from family and friends... like the beautiful Gorham angel on top of the tree that was a wedding gift.


The above photo captures several ornaments from my grandmother. The white fireplace and stockings at the bottom was a gift to hubby and me from her early in our marriage, the blown glass ornament top right, the small glass frosted pine cone at top left, and the crystal icicles are heirlooms from her very own tree after she passed on.


 The bottom left gold glass ball wishing us a frosted "Merry Christmas" was my husband's as a child.  The two Lenox snowflakes at the top, one crystal and one white, were gifts from precious friends.


The brass bear with a photo of my oldest son was a gift from my aunt when my son was a baby, and it sits beside a white glass ball with a Currier and Ives scene that was also an heirloom from my grandmother.


The two Precious Moments ornaments, the Little Drummer Boy and the bell, in the photo above were baby gifts from friends when my now adult sons were born.  There is another white glass ball with gold stars and the small frosted pine cone in the photo that were heirlooms from my grandmother's tree.


These two twin brass ornaments are also heirlooms... the one on the left belonged to my grandparents long before I ever thought of marrying and the one on the right belonged to my husband when he was a child.  I just love that.

You couldn't have looked at all these photos without noticing the round cross-stitched, gold and white Chrismon ornaments. (If you're not sure what a Chrismon is, it is an ornament that is a Christ Monogram... a symbol of Christ: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chrismon and a little more info here: http://www.blcelgin.org/chrismons) 

These Chrismons were lovingly made by my mother-in-law's mother.  She was a precious woman who was severely handicapped by rheumatoid arthritis. Rather than sulk in her suffering, she chose to be joyful and to be as productive as she could.  Though her hands were so bent by the disease that her fingers were permanently curled so that she could hardly hold a needle, she insisted that we should all have a set of these beautiful ornaments.  She tried her best to get a set for each grandchild and even great grandchild before she died.  She was a treasure, and I am so thankful for these ornaments but even more thankful that our children got to spend a great amount of time with her when they were small.   
  
I am thankful for all the ways these ornaments remind me of those who have loved me and my family well... so many have gone on to be with the Lord, and what a glorious reunion we'll have someday!


7 comments:

  1. Your tree is stunning! I enjoyed reading about your treasured ornaments and the wonderful memories. I had not heard of nor seen Chrismons so that was interesting. What a dear grandmother-in-law. A blessed Advent season to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is stunning! The first picture of it, I absolutely love! Smudge on your lens? There has to be a life lesson in there somewhere.:) My goodness, every ornament is lovely. Your tree and the ornaments are elegant. God has given you a wonderful gift to be able to put something like that together. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful tree! I love the colors and the delicate garlands..yes a lady's tree. And so nice when the ornaments all have meaning and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that tree is gorgeous with or without the smudge on your lens. Love all the lights -- such pretty ornaments. As podso already said, a lady's tree.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend and glimpses of heaven in unexpected places.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christi, your tree is beautiful... with wonderful memories.
    And what a lovely filter the smudged lens makes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tree, and I had to laugh. I did the same thing with my phone camera. Same effect. I read your post, wiped off my lens and voila, clear picture of our tree. I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful tree, Christi! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete