Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tis the season... commissioned artwork

I am in the midst of busy season when it comes to commissioned work. Lots of people are wanting to give home sketches for Christmas gifts this year... which is a huge blessing. Since I haven't posted artwork in a while, I thought I would share a different sort of commission done very recently. This client wanted to have the sketch done for her daughter, who was married in this church. I thought that was so sweet.

The Basilica of St. Lawrence
graphite, 5" x 7"


This was a fun commission because I have never done a Basilica before. It was also a challenge because of the small size requested (5" x 7"), as there is a tremendous amount of detail. This is the Basilica of St. Lawrence, located in Asheville, North Carolina. It is a very beautiful church and has an interesting history. According to the church's website, "St Lawrence, with its unique dome, is the only church designed and built by the renowned Rafael Guastavino --and is considered the mother church of western North Carolina." At the time when it was designated by the Roman Catholic Church as a Basilica (in 1993) there were only 33 other Basilicas in the United States. The website states about the designation of Basilica that it "is a special designation given by the Holy Father to certain churches because of their antiquity, dignity, historical importance or significance as a place of worship."

And now, back to the drawing board!

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sketch! You did it again, dear Christi! I love your artwork! God has gifted you with an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you are 'in demand'! What a lovely piece of artwork! A treasure to be sure.

    Happy Sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christi, this is a wonderful rendering. I adore church architecture, especially basilicas and Cathedrals..Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christi, this is so beautiful...wow so much work in that tiny sketch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I would love to be able to draw like this. You have an amazing gift!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christi,

    I didn't know you did this! It's beautiful! I've been wanting to have a drawing commissioned of our home for some time. Can you give me details? Thanks!
    MFava@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such amazing work, I adore all the things you make! Good to hear you are being kept busy drawing! I will need a drawing of our home one of these days...I have them of most of my other houses and they are treasures! But I have to say NONE of the ones we have can touch the beauty of what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely sketch -- we have two drawings of Linderhof -- a pen and ink and a watercolor. They are special to me.

    Anyone who has a house should have a sketch made -- it's a great remembrance!

    Your artwork is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are just too talented. Very beautiful, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You artwork is simply superb! You are very talentedmy dear lady!~

    Thanks for sharing this lovey sketch with us..., i would love to see more!

    Cheers from Silken Purse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just when I think I have seen the best, you keep creating more. God has truly blessed you.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete