Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Merry Humpday... Happy Halfway to Christmas!

Today is Wednesday and is not only "humpday" as far as the workweek is concerned, but is also humpday as far as Christmas is concerned. Now, around our house, Christmas is a very big deal. So in honor of "Christmas Humpday" (halfway to Christmas) I am posting some holly-jollyness today!

These are some of my handmade Christmas stockings. I made each of these before the first Christmas of each of my children. They are patterned after a stocking that my mother made for me when I was born (which I still use, by the way!) I carefully chose and designed each element of their stocking from felt and then embellished it with beads, pearls, sequins, and other decorations. Since I am very protective about my children's identities and leery of sharing too much information about them for the whole world to see, I have not shown their names. But each stocking has a white 4 inch strip across the top with the child's name in block letters hand-cut from red felt to match the stocking.




These stockings hang in my den over my hearth, on which I place a set of votive candles surrounded by nutcrackers and Christmas stuffed animals. The theme colors in my den are bright... mostly red and green. I have not been a fan of colored lights for my trees, but since my kids were very small they have wanted them. So our den tree, which is the one we are all around the most, has colored lights.This is my dining room table set with my Christmas china, crystal Christmas trees on a mirror as a centerpiece, and of course lots of candles.



Below is a wonderful Christmas cake which is pretty impressive, but not so hard to make. It is a peppermint red velvet cake. The cake portion is actually two different batters, one red and one white alternately spooned into the pan for a peppermint effect. The icing is cream cheese with peppermint flavoring. It is beautiful to look at and delicious as well!




The tree below is in my living room and is really MY tree. I decorate it and it has some of my very favorite decorations on it. It is decorated with gold, silver, crystal, and white (including white lights, of course!) The Gorham angel that sits atop the tree was given to me as a wedding gift by a wonderful college friend.


These carolers were given to me by my grandmother, who was a real source of inspiration for me as far as decorating. She was a graceful southern lady who loved and appreciated beautiful things and was able to really put together decor with a charm and a classic style that was completely elegant.

This last picture is the representation of our faith -- the nativity -- the fact that Jesus came to this earth to live and teach us how to live... and also to die so that we can live with Him in eternity. In these times when our world is in turmoil and uncertainty, we need an anchor for the soul. How blessed we are that He offers Himself so freely to be that Anchor for our soul!



And that is reason enough to celebrate... even in June!

4 comments:

  1. I'm celebrating. Christmas is a big deal at our house also. I love your pictures. The stocking are something that will always be cherished.
    But the best of all is the Nativity.
    Faith is our anchor and we need that in the world today.

    God bless you, my friend.
    I loved the pics from yesterday. I didn't have much online time yesterday (my son was having some complications with his Diabetes so we spent most of the day/night in the er). Thank God, much better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas Humpday - love it and I'm loving your new blog too, thanks for taking the time to welcome us to our new blog home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found your blog. Nice to be cooled down by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, is it really half way to Christmas already. Me oh my time flies the older I get!

    Thanks for the jolly reminder!

    xoxo

    Blessings,
    melissa

    ReplyDelete